Wednesday 12 February 2014

Manisha Gera Baswani



Manisha Gera Baswani 
Painting 
28* 20 
Gouache & Jaali 
2005
Artist Statement
A painting is the ambrosia for the mind. The act of painting is a 360 degree exercise for me which allows meditative time, a structured discipline and immense personal gratification. I delight in the viewer’s interpretation, for I do not myself weave any message in my works. Be it insects, galaxies, pop icons or ancient Indian murals, they all have a place on my canvas. The elements I choose take a life of their own from one painting to�the next because I leave them unfettered of any intellectual shackles. A night bird sits perched under the dark sky while a shower hangs precariously behind a curtain reminiscent of a Pichwai above a lotus pond.
Manisha has trained under the guidance of her Guru A. Ramachadaran, a renowned veteran Indian Artist. She went on a French Government scholarship to study in Paris in 1993 and has also been awarded the National Scholarship and Junior Fellowship from the Government of India. 

She has exhibited extensively in India and abroad and her work is part of the National Gallery of Modern Art. 
Manisha Gera Baswani lives and works in Delhi.

No comments:

Post a Comment