Saturday 12 April 2014

G R Iranna


Artville Contemporary Artist Of The Day
G R Iranna
Title: The birth of blindness
Medium: Fibreglass and cloth
Size: 27x26x42 inches, 10 figures

G. R. Iranna : I need to take references for the exactitude of the visual form. Like the folds on the cloth, posture, colour etc which I may change in the process of painting. When you have chosen it, it becomes yours.

On the internet I had seen a picture like this with everyone sitting steady and smiling for an arranged photograph, which is quite unreal in itself. That is what attracted me.

It is important that the whole event unfolds like a narrative before me. So I realized that in the background I needed the palanquin to give it a festive ambiance and a tiger jumping from behind suggesting action. I wanted celebration and thrill along with a tinge of cultural value- like a theatre unfolding.

I know the smile, the uniform, the tiger and the palanquin all appear like disunited elements. So, one stages them together to create one’s own story. The emotion and the involvement that evolve from this are more important.
#art #sculpture #contemporary artist #g r iranna #artville gallery

No comments:

Post a Comment