Tuesday 8 September 2015

Atul Dodiya



Artville artist of the day: Atul Dodiya

Title: Cage
Year: 2003
Size: 68.5 x 43.5 in | 174.0 x 110.5 cm
Medium: Watercolor, charcoal and acrylic with marble dust on paper

Born in Mumbai in 1959, Atul Dodiya, one of the most sought after contemporary artists today, completed his Bachelor in Fine Arts from the Sir J. J. School of Arts in 1982. He says, "I was passionate about painting from childhood. I come from a liberal Kathiawadi family and was brought up on old Guru Dutt (Legendary Indian Film maker) movies and classical music of Kumar Gandharva (Classical Singer). Even though nobody in the family has an aesthetic background, they were very supportive. When I was 13, my father, a civil contractor, bought me a first class local train pass, so that I could go for art exhibitions. One of my elder sisters wanted me to be an architect. But I failed my Secondary School Certificate exams twice because I was weak in math. Finally, they allowed me to join the Sir J.J. School of Art."

Atul met his wife Anju --- also an artist --- at the Sir J. J. School of Art where he used to teach after completing his graduation. She was his student. "We are critical of each other`s work. It`s a great thing because it means a lot to have an opinion you can completely trust, coming from someone who understands you completely and knows what you are trying to say",

Both work out of what used to be Atul`s father`s home in Ghatkopar, in Central Mumbai. "While I work, neighbors keep coming in to look at my paintings and comment on them. These people, with their various priorities and concerns, do not come to the painting with any prejudice. They may say the work look like their bed cover. I do not consider their response useless. It can be hilarious and also very enlightening," he says.

Courtesy: www.saffronart.com
#artvilleartistoftheday #AtulDodiya #watercolor #charcoal #acrylic #marbledust #mixedmedia #art #artville

No comments:

Post a Comment