Tuesday 6 May 2014

Mathew Barney


Artville Contemporary Artist Of The Day 
Mathew Barney 
Cremaster 5

Cremaster 5 Analysis: The imagery again, was very surreal and abstract, like the doves at the beginning that disappear into holes in the floor of the opera house and then appear in the Gellert Baths on the other side. I was attracted to the costumes in this film, especially those of the Queen of Chain and her ushers who wore elaborate, over the top costumes, dramatic head pieces, and exaggerated neck pieces. The Queen wears a black Elizabethan ruff and her ushers wear matching ones in black and white. The ushers wear white ruffled headpieces and red headbands. The Queen wears a large black trailing dress with several bulky layers and a white underskirt. She wears a thin black veil which, when taken off, reveals a crown made of two linked transparent orbs on either side of her head. If I have enough time I would like to experiment with creating my own headpieces and accessories. I liked the theatrical grandeur of the costumes in this film. Although I am creating a fashion look and I want it to be modern and edgy, I still want to incorporate some theatricality into the image. Artists that I think encompass the two well are Lady Gaga, Gareth Pugh and Alexander McQueen. I could look at these people as further research to inspire my work.
courtesy:juliettebuck

#art #newmedia #contemporaryartist #mathewbarney#artvillecontemporary #artgallery

No comments:

Post a Comment